Vertical & Horizontal Bladder Tank
Foam Storage Devices | Model MXC
The bladder tank together with ratio controllers, form a balanced pressure proportioning system used to mix water and firefighting foam concentrate together to produce an effective extinguishing medium. The bladder tank technology is a dependable and precise mixing method that is widespread in the fixed fire protection market. This method gives a stable water/foam ratio by adjusting automatically to the variable flow rate and pressure conditions that occur during system operation. This feature makes bladder tanks particularly suitable to fit multiple hazard systems, sprinkler systems and any other systems operating under variable, non-predictable flow and pressure conditions. The bladder tank is a carbon steel pressure vessel containing an elastomeric bladder between the water and foam concentrate. The bladder permits water pressure to be transferred to the foam concentrate without the two fluids mixing together.
This technical data is intended for trained experts. It contains basic information needed to use the product described. Legally binding is the product operation and maintenance manual, which must be observed. Technical data can be found on the KCA website at http://www.kcantincendi.com. The website may include a more recent edition of this technical data sheet. For further information, please contact KCA or refer to the technical documentation. The contents of this publication are subject to modifications without notice.
Scope of delivery
Ensure that all components are complete and in good condition. The bladder tank is supplied in or on a suitable wooden pallet skid or shipping crate in the horizontal position. All bladder tanks have lifting lugs to allow safe maneuverability on site. Tank is supplied empty with pre-installed bladder. Small trim valves and contents level device are supplied pre-assembled to the tank as standard. Safety thermal relief valve supplied as standard according to design code selected. Anchor fixing bolts are not part of our supply scope.
Please contact KCA for further information. The product is available directly from KCA and official distributors only.
- Pre-assembled with ratio controller and water/foam pipe work
- Twin tank configurations
- Special coatings for salt-water applications or harsh environmental conditions
- Nameplate in corrosion resistant material
- Increased wall thickness for corrosion allowance
- 233 PSI /16.1 bar (1.6MPa) design pressure rating with UL Listing and FM Approval
- Other design pressure and seismic ratings
- Ladders | Work platform | Sunshield
- Full bladder tank stainless steel construction
- Heat tracing and/or insulation
- Bladder tank pre-installed on base frame or containerized to customer requirements
- Various colors and painting cycles with UL Listing and FM Approval (120-300 microns)
- Nondestructive examinations
- Factory acceptance test, notified body or third party inspections
- Special sea freight and fumigated packaging
Please contact KCA for further details, pricing and availability.
See the datasheet for more information.
Information: Some of the available options may not be covered by the UL listing or FM approval. Please always make
reference to the appropriate approval directory or guides, or contact KCA for further assistance.
Refer to appropriate installation standards (i.e. NFPA, VdS, LPCB, etc.) and / or applicable FM Global Property Loss Prevention Data Sheets such as 4-12, Foam-Water Sprinkler Systems. The KCA installation, operation and maintenance bladder tank manual shall also be referenced.
Notice: When designing a bladder tank into your fire protection system, please give consideration to future maintenance activities. Ensure that adequate clearance above a vertical bladder tank or at the inspection flange end of a horizontal tank is allowed. For further guidance contact KCA.
- Foam concentrate is stored inside the bladder. When used in conjunction with a ratio controller it proportions foam concentrate accurately into the water stream.
- During system activation, the outer side of the bladder is pressurized by the system water supply which forces foam concentrate to the ratio controller
- Simultaneously, as water flows through the venturi area of the ratio controller, a metered pressure drop draws foam concentrate into the system water stream creating a foam solution mixed to the appropriate ratios.
- The foam solution flows through the system pipework and out of any open sprinklers, nozzles or other discharge devices.
- As the foam concentrate continues to flow from the inside of the bladder, system water enters the bladder tank on the outside of the bladder keeping a balanced pressure system.
For details of warranty, refer to KCA’s current list price schedule or contact KCA directly.
Inspections, tests and maintenance
Warning: Any system maintenance or testing that involves placing a control valve or detection system out of service may eliminate the fire protection capabilities of that system. Prior to proceeding, notify all Authorities Having Jurisdiction. Consideration should be given to employment of a fire patrol in the affected area.
Refer to respective requirements, according to the relevant standards for Inspection, Testing and Maintenance. If applicable, refer to FM Global Property Loss Prevention Datasheet 4-12 for specific test and commissioning criteria. In addition, the “Authority Having Jurisdiction” (AHJ) may have additional maintenance, testing and inspection requirements that must be followed.
At end of use the product described here should be disposed of via the national recycling system. Upon request the manufacturer can take back and properly dispose of the electrical equipment and electronic devices.
Declaration of conformity
If required. Contact KCA for further information.